Criticism requested, Adulation accepted, Sincerity appreciated!
 
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Show Off
Do you have the cool new iPhone or the iPod Touch? Do you have anything that is a little expensive and attractive? Hide it right now and do not use it in front of other people. Though you genuinely like it and have no evil intentions whatsoever, you hear everyone around you say you are trying to "show off".

It did not strike me till recently when I got my new iPod Touch. I also have a Blackberry 8830 World Edition and that also grabs a lot of people's attention. Everyone exclaims that it is an expensive phone and is curious to know how much my plan costs. How do they know that I have this phone/PDA? Well, they see it when I use it. This is my phone for god's sake and I use it when I have to. It has nothing to do with showing off, my friends. Say, I'm playing pool with my buddies and all of a sudden my phone rings. What do you want me to do? Run out into my car, close the doors and then try to whisper so that no one notices me? I should also bend down or else someone can see me through the window and say I'm trying to show off. The whole reason I have this device with a data plan is so that I can use it to check my e-mails when I'm on the go or access the Internet when needed. It is a convenience. Now one day, a couple of friends and I went to a sports complex to check out their membership details. Unfortunately they were closing for the day and there was no one to help us out. They just gave us their website information and asked us to try contacting them the next day. On the way to the car, I started to check out the website for membership details and got almost all the information I needed. What do I hear my friends say when they saw me do this? Show off! After that night, no one ever tried to either check out the website or call them. Everyday they keep asking one another if they contacted the the place but the unanimous answer is "no". "We got to check out their website today" would immediately follow. It has been a month and no one ever did anything about it. The five minutes I spent as soon as we came out of the complex was to avoid this forgetfulness and procrastination. No sir, it is nothing to do with showing off.

Coming to my iPod. I did not even buy it. I recently won it for a blog of mine. I love it and it is great. Now that I have it, of course I will use it. But whenever someone sees me listening to music on it, their immediate reaction is "show off". "What the hell!", I think to myself. "I'm trying to just enjoy what I have got. I don't want to hide it and use it in secrecy just because people like you think I'm showing off". But surprisingly it did have some affect on me. Even if I want to listen to music while I'm working, I'm thinking twice before I plug the phones into my ears as I'm afraid I will make my colleagues think I'm "showing off".

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by bachi 21:51  
 
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< HOME

myprofile
Name: bachi
Home: Huntington, New York, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile


previouspost
'mon Buffalo, Go!
My Personal Storyteller
Ooops... I'm Sorry
Friends Don't Let Friends Teach Friends
Skiing Breaks Your Bones - Part II
Skiing Breaks Your Bones
Cameras and Recorders Not Allowed
Just Do It
Don't scratch my car
The light that never turns green


myarchives
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
April 2011


mylinks
DIGINETRA - My photography blog
Blogger


bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger and optimized for Firefox.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.