Criticism requested, Adulation accepted, Sincerity appreciated!
 
Thursday, February 7, 2008
I Don't Hate Microsoft
Most of them who know me conclude I'm a Microsoft hater. Though this is not completely wrong, it is not 100% true either. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft (actually I don't like MS) but I don't really hate the company. Another conclusion people arrive at is that I'm one of those blind, band wagon followers of Apple. I'm sorry but that ain't true either. I know I express my dislike towards MS and appreciation of Apple's innovation and creativity pretty loud and clear but do not mistake that for a bias towards or against a particular company. I think neither of them is self sustainable. They both have their pros and cons. While I admire Apple's marvelous "original" products, I do respect MS's marketing. No, I do not agree with their business strategies.

Well, I started my computers 101 with Windows when I got my first PC a decade ago. I eventually was curious about Linux starting with their command based version and moved to Mac. Even today while my laptop is a Mac, my desktop is a dual boot with Linux and Windows on it. Bottom line is that none of them is self-sufficient. While I want Windows for video chatting using Yahoo! Messenger (because YM is pretty lousy on a Mac), I would not play with Adobe Photoshop on anything other than my iBook. Linux provides me with the greatest avenue of exploring almost anything I want. Mind you, only from a development point of view though. I do not claim myself to be an expert on any of these but all I'm saying is that both as a developer and a user, I need all the three.

I'm sure most of you might have already seen this video a million times by now bust one more view doesn't hurt.




Unfortunately I could not find the entire (1 1/2 hour) video on YouTube but you can get it from Apple as Podcast.

So, what do I have for or against any of them? Here is what I have to say. First of all, if Apple is Obama and Microsoft, Hillary. My vote is for Obama.

I'm, without doubt, a hardcore fan of Apple's innovation. Jobs is my favorite CEO any day. Obviously I cannot generalize this statement for everyone because I think Apple's business models and marketing strategies suck but I don't care. My decision is purely based on innovation. Microsoft, as I see is a genius in marketing and making money. But I don't consider anything from them creative enough. Going into more details and some specifics...

Apple's iPod is such a blockbuster. But I never wanted to buy one. I saw quite a few other mp3 players in the market. There is no doubt some of them are better than the iPod in terms of the functionality (simple example is a built-in FM radio) and cheaper at the same time. You want to rate based on aesthetics? Of course, it is the iPod. But now I own a Touch. That is because there is nothing out there like this one. What is pretty shitty about Apple? I have an iBook with Mac 10.3.9 and I cannot use my Touch with this. This pissed me off real bad. I think it is insane.

Bottom line... I'm not a blind follower of Apple and not a MS hater. I just have a soft corner for one and not the other.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by bachi 22:07  
 
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< HOME

myprofile
Name: bachi
Home: Huntington, New York, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile


previouspost
Show Off
'mon Buffalo, Go!
My Personal Storyteller
Ooops... I'm Sorry
Friends Don't Let Friends Teach Friends
Skiing Breaks Your Bones - Part II
Skiing Breaks Your Bones
Cameras and Recorders Not Allowed
Just Do It
Don't scratch my car


myarchives
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
April 2011


mylinks
DIGINETRA - My photography blog
Blogger


bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger and optimized for Firefox.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.