Criticism requested, Adulation accepted, Sincerity appreciated!
 
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Going Green! Think Outside The Box
pneumonia
rendezvous
eight
aisle
knee

I know you thought I have gone crazy. Not really. Everyone starting from my 2 1/2 year old nephew to the 212 year old grandpa next door keeps talking about "going green" now a days. I know, while Al Gore's revelation of "truth" to the mankind drove half the literate world switch from H3 to Prius, the ever opportunistic media and the smarty-pant entrepreneurs coaxed the rest into going for things like some cheap-ass, non-recyclable, cancer-causing plastic bottles just because they are 'green'. All this started to challenge my semi-functional brain. When so many people are trying to save the mother nature from the cruelty of this selfish human being, I can't just sit in my couch writing some useless blogs. Since I want to write a blog, I decided to gear it towards the 'green factor' and see if I can be of any use to the humanity. Only thing is that this approach of going green is a little (or a lot?) different from almost everything else. I'm sorry, but thinking outside the box gives me kicks.

numonea
rondevu
ait
ile
ne

Wait a minute... did you just go through this list of words, like 30 seconds (even if you are the slowest of the readers) ago? Hhhmmm, I think they sound pretty much the same but don't seem to spell right though. Does the spelling really matter? Do you understand that I conveyed the same message as above but with 11 less characters (33.33% less)? From one of the billion forwards I keep getting every hour, I also came to know that the human brain can decipher a word just by looking at the first and the last letter though everything else is messed up. Assuming this is true, there opens another avenue for possible character cutting. Let's not go there for now though. If you are wondering how this is anything to do with going green, here is how.

In a nutshell: typing more characters means increasing the size of the files and hence hogging up more memory. Though pretty much everything is "soft" now a days, unfortunately all the soft things need to be stored on something hard. These hard things are not easy to dispose without messing up the mother nature. Want to print it? That's going to be a direct hit as it means chewing up more paper. Now I don't need to mention that paper comes from trees.

Honestly speaking, I picked these words at random and did the calculations later. So, the savings are not predetermined. Assuming an average of 25% savings by removing the "silent" letters from words, I think we will be making a move in the right direction. Not just documents, think about stuff like chatting. Actually the young ones, knowingly or unknowingly, are already doing this. "howz u doin?". Jeez! That sounds awful but you know that the communication process is still alive and in a smarter way, fewer characters. Now how is chatting going to help, as most of it is not stored or printed? Think about all the electricity you are burning. Breaking it down to a single person, whatever I said till now translates simply into utter nonsense. But put it in the perspective of hundreds of millions of "I can't live without a comp" dudes and you will know what I'm talking about.

By now you are 100% sure that I have gone insane right? Somehow I think this is exactly what "thinking outside the box" is. Now you know another way of GOING GREEN!!!

Disclaimer: The content in this blog is just for entertainment purpose. I'm not responsible if kids who read this start challenging their teachers and/or parents about some spellings. This is not targeted towards any particular language or group of people.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by bachi 18:50  
 
1 Comments:
  • At 24 March, 2008 13:48, Blogger bachi said…

    Thanks for the comment "amigo". Checked out your blog. Looks pretty good but unfortunately I can't quite understand your language :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< HOME

myprofile
Name: bachi
Home: Huntington, New York, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile


previouspost
I Don't Hate Microsoft
Show Off
'mon Buffalo, Go!
My Personal Storyteller
Ooops... I'm Sorry
Friends Don't Let Friends Teach Friends
Skiing Breaks Your Bones - Part II
Skiing Breaks Your Bones
Cameras and Recorders Not Allowed
Just Do It


myarchives
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
April 2011


mylinks
DIGINETRA - My photography blog
Blogger


bloginfo
This blog is powered by Blogger and optimized for Firefox.
Blog designed by TemplatePanic.